(Talebearing, Slander, Etc.)
A. God’s commandment in the Law
“You shall not go about as a talebearer among your people; I am the Lord”
B. Causes of Backbiting
- Lack of love (1 Cor 13:6; Gal 5:14,15)
- Failure to remember that God hears it and the Holy Spirit is grieved
(Num 12: 1,2; Eph 4:30,31)
C. Effects of Backbiting
- It deeply wounds the heart. (Prov 18:8)
- It is the cause for many a strife. (Prov 25:23; 26:20)
- It is a hindrance to personal spiritual growth and affects the ministry in the church. (1 Pet 2:1,2; Psa 15:1-3; 2 Cor 12:20,21)
D. Backbiting and other evils
- Backbiting and flattery (Prov 20:19)
- Backbiting and hypocrisy (Psa 41:6; Jer 9:4,8)
- Backbiting and position-loving (3 Jn 9,10)
- Backbiting and idling (1 Tim 5: 13; 2 Thess 3:11)
- Backbiting and backsliding (Jer 6: 27-30)
E. Lessons from an Old Testament Example
Read Numbers 12:1-16. Miriam and Aaron backbit Moses!
- Not Moses, but the LORD heard it (v 2).
- The anger of the Lord was kindled (v 9).
- The glory of God departed (v 10).
- Miriam struck with leprosy—Loss of spiritual sensitiveness (v 10)
- Miriam shut out—Fellowship broken (v 15)
- People’s journey delayed—Hindrance to progress (v 15)
F. When you want to backbite…
Ask yourself these questions:
- Is it true?
- Is it needful?
- Is it kind?
G. When a backbiter comes to you…
Ask him these questions:
- Will it do me any good if you tell me that story?
- Will it do you any good to tell it?
- Will it do the person about whom you have come to tell me, any good?
H. When you are backbitten…
- Don’t defend!
- Don’t offend!
- But bless!
I. Severe punishment for backbiting
Psa 50:20,21; 101:5; Prov 6:12-15; Rom 1:30,32; 2:1
J. Some positive counsel
- Tell your brother’s faults to him alone in private. (Mt 18.15,16)
- Confess your faults one to another and pray for one another. (Js 4:11; 5:9,16)
- Think on virtues. (Phil 4: 8)
K. The Greek word for “devil” is “diabolas” which means SLANDERER!